Most of the insurance companies in the country offer a wide range of health insurance plans and Star Health Insurance is one of them. The company offers some unique plans, which are designed keeping in mind the needs of a specific group of people. One such innovative plan offered by the Star Health is Diabetes Safe Insurance, which covers medical expenses incurred by a diabetic patient. Patients diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus Type I and II are covered under the policy.
Features of the Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy
The main features of the Diabetes Safe Insurance by Star Health Insurance are:
- All people diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus Type I and II between the age of 26 to 65 years are covered under the policy
- Any expenses on hospitalization of kidney transplant surgery are covered
- The policy can be renewed for lifelong
- The expenses incurred on the second transplant are payable in the event of the failure of the first one
- More than 400 day care procedures are covered under the policy
- For an amount of up to 10% of sum insured the cost of artificial imputation of limbs is covered
- The policy can be taken for an individual or as a floater, provided both the spouses are suffering from diabetes
- For the chosen insured person, accidental death benefit is also provided
- There is an automatic restoration of the entire sum insured
- If the premium is paid by any other mode except cash, the policyholder can get a rebate under section 80D.
Free Look Period
The Diabetes Safe Insurance plan has a free look period of 15 days, which allows the insured to review the policy and understand the terms and conditions. The policy can be cancelled within this time frame if the insured has any problem with the policy. The company, in this case, will refund the entire premium after adjusting for medical screening for pre-acceptance and stamp duty and the proportionate risk premium. The only condition here is that the insured has not filed any claim in this period.
Details of the Policy
There are two plans offered under the Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy; Plan A and Plan B. The main features of these are:
- Under this plan, there is a requirement of pre-acceptance medical screening, and the cost of the same is borne by the company.
- For hospitalization due to diabetes, there is no waiting period
- There is no pre-acceptance medical screening required under this plan
- For any accidental hospitalization except diabetes, there is a waiting period of 30 days
- For foot ulcer, eye related disease, renal and cardio vascular diseases there is a waiting period of 15 months.
- For any transplant diabetes related surgeries there is a waiting period of 24 months
After the policy has been received by the insurance company, the plan cannot be changed.
The insured has an option to take a sum insured of Rs. 300,000, Rs. 400,000, Rs. 500,000 and Rs. 1,000,000.
There are no sub limits for cardio vascular diseases, whereas, there is a limit of Rs. 20,000 per eye with a limit of Rs. 30,000 for the people with sum insured between Rs. 3 Lakh and Rs. 5 Lakh. For policyholders with sum insured of Rs. 10 Lakh there is a limit of Rs. 30,000 per eye with a limit of Rs. 40,000.
Exclusions Under the Policy
The following are not covered under the policy:
- If the patient is diagnosed with any disease within first 30 days of the policy, it is not covered under the policy
- The mentioned pre-existing diseases are not covered for 48 months
- Any dental surgery or treatment are not covered
- Any expenses on tonic and vitamins which are not part of any treatment are not covered
- Any injury suffered by the insured due to war, nuclear weapons or breach of law are not covered
- Admission charge, hospital registration, telephone and record charges are not payable
The Diabetes Safe Insurance Plan by Star Health Insurance is one of the most popular and well-designed plan, as this covers insured against diabetes and other associated problems. The plan has various advantages and provides coverage to diabetics.